Being Post Abortive in this Crazy Political Time
The Inauguration and Women's March are this Weekend - Hang on!
So here we are 2 days away from the Inauguration of President Elect Donald Trump. No matter what your political views, there is no doubt that the upcoming events are going to send you on an emotional roller coaster ride when it comes to abortion.
No matter where you look it is impossible to escape the commentary or the emotions they provoke. It is as if we, as a country, have become unleashed, and abortion is front and center!
Whether we are speaking of the de-funding of Planned Parenthood, or hearing about or watching the Women's March on Saturday, or the March for Life the following week, the "A" word will be front and center. It is easy to get caught up in it, especially if you continually see the experiences of millions of women who have been hurt by abortion denied.
So, what do you do to keep your peace and sanity?
I certainly do not have all the answers but here are some things that have worked for me and many others who have felt the same.
(if you have any additional ideas add them to the comments!)
- watching TV or reading an article about it? If it is upsetting you -turn it off or stop reading it
- go for a walk
- listen to music
- read a good book
- watch a movie(although this may be getting harder because of the political speak of some of the actors and actresses)
- pick up the phone and call someone who understands from ministry or another person who will help you
- besieged by pain, regret, guilt, anger, rage...you get it...acknowledge your feeling-its okay, they are normal just don't do something dumb acting on them..again, pick up the phone!
- pray and seek direction before going front and center at these thing..remember, we need to do God's will fo r us, not our own will!
- pray, pray and then pray some more...remember the agony in the garden..Jesus gets it!
Jesus knows, He sees, He loves you and longs to heal you!
There is no doubt abortion will continue to be a controversial issue throughout Trumps term and beyond. It has always been controversial no matter who has been president, which leads to the question, if it is so good and okay to have an abortion, why is there never any peace surrounding it?
In spite of the fact that the feeling of those who have been hurt by abortion continue to be ignored and rejected, the truth is there are millions of us out there. Abortion will never be a settled issue, but healing from abortion is always possible. Remember that.
The victory is already won through Jesus Christ!
Jesus we trust in you!