So, yesterday I ran across a Face Book post of a terrible caricature of Whoppie Goldberg with the words "I'm the proud mother of six aborted babies" beneath it. It made me realize how many people still don't get it.
Yes, those of us who have had abortions don't deserve God's mercy, no one does, but guess what, it is there for each and every one of us, and He desires our healing. That is the beautiful thing about it all, we don't deserve it, and we cannot earn it, it is given freely because of who HE is!
Don't get me wrong I am not saying Whoppie's abortions were okay, of course they weren't, but what I am saying is that things like this are far from helpful, and we really don't know why she aborted. We can judge the act but only God can judge her. Perhaps people should read her story
Things like this:
- Block the ability to reach the hearts of those in denial and lock them into rationalization and justification.
- Take away hope of healing for others who see it that are suffering after abortion
- Validate the feeling of "I'm damned to hell" many who have had abortions feel that do not know Gods mercy and love causing them to engage in even more negative behavior because, "why not-I'm doomed to hell anyway"
- Drive people away from God
- Harm the person doing it because it is a lack of charity
- Make people deaf to hearing the pro life message because they feel judged or that you are judging someone they love
Yes, Whoppie aborted her children. It is sad and terrible, heartbreaking really, but I doubt Jesus would condone something like that picture, instead He would embrace her as He did the woman caught in adultery and by His unconditional love He would bring about her conversion. That is what we are called to do.
His mercy is there for everyone...Whoppie included. This is the picture I want to see!